Unit Title Act 2010 | Shared by our law firm2018-09-25T17:47:05+13:00

A Published NZ Law Article (JULY 2011) – The Unit Titles Act 2010

Our Law firm – Quay Law

Author – Ian Mellett, Auckland lawyer and principal of Quay Law Barrister and Soliticor in Remuera.

NZ Law – The introduction of the Unit Titles Act 2010.

Unit titles are the most widely used form of multi-unit property ownership. Typical examples of unit title developments include apartment blocks, units, townhouses, office blocks and industrial or retail complexes. The owners in a unit title development own a defined part of the building, for example an apartment or unit, and may also have shared ownership in common areas such as lobbies, lifts and driveways.

It is important to realise that the combination of individual and shared ownership of land and buildings necessarily means that ownership of a unit title entails a different set of rights and responsibilities compared to the traditional concept of house and land ownership. Unit title developments have a body corporate management structure, and all the unit owners collectively make up the body corporate. The body corporate assumes responsibility for a range of matters, including the management, finance and administration of the common property and the building as a whole, and ensures that decisions affecting the development can be made jointly by the unit owners.

There have been numerous changes to the scale and nature of property developments inNew Zealandsince the original Unit Titles Act came into force in 1972. As a consequence the old Act became out-dated and the new legislation now provides the basis for the creation and sustainable management of intensive, multi-unit developments.


The Unit Titles Act 2010 (“the Act”) came into force on 20 June 2011. The majority of the provisions of the Act apply from that date, and the other provisions apply from the end of a 15 month transition period which started on 20 June 2011 and will end on 1 October 2012. The purpose of the transition period is to give bodies corporate the opportunity to prepare for the new default body corporate operational rules and the new maintenance requirements contained in the Act. In effect the Act provides the framework, whereas the Unit Title Regulations 2011 (“the Regulations”) provide the guide as to what people have to do. The Regulations deal with matters pertaining to administration, governance, democracy, finance, disclosure and forms and certificates.

Body corporate rules

Existing body corporate rules made under the old Act will continue to apply until 1 October 2012, although many of the provisions in the existing rules are overridden by the new Act. The old Act contained schedules which set out the default body corporate rules. The default body corporate operational rules are now set out in the Regulations. Provisions in the new Act and Regulations that override the corresponding provisions in existing body corporate rules include provisions relating to the duties of owners and the body corporate, the operation of the committee, and meetings and voting.

The new default operational rules will apply from 1 October 2012. Obviously bodies corporate will be able to revoke, amend or add to the default rules set out in the Regulations. Unit owners should make sure that they have the most up-to-date copy of the rules that apply to their development. It is recommended that the transition period be used to prepare any changes to the new rules that may be considered necessary. Bodies corporate are also able to opt into the new default rules at any time before 1 October 2012. They should be aware that matters that were in the existing rules and are now set out in the new Act or the Regulations cannot be changed.

Maintenance requirements

With regard to maintenance requirements, the default body corporate rules in the old Act provide that the body corporate is responsible for maintaining the common property and utilities serving the Units. The new Act expands the maintenance requirements for bodies corporate, but in respect of existing developments the new requirements only apply from 1 October 2012. It is possible to opt into the new requirements earlier.

Once the transition period has expired, the body corporate’s responsibility for maintenance will entail the common property and all building elements and infrastructure which serve more than one unit. Importantly, it will also be a requirement for bodies corporate to set up a long-term maintenance plan which covers at least 10 years and establish a fund for that plan. The plan must be updated at least once every 3 years.

Financial management

Bodies corporate have a number of financial powers and responsibilities under the new Act. They must keep accounting records, detailing all the financial transactions of the body corporate, and use these records to prepare financial statements (including financial position, income and expenditure, explanatory material and notes). An operating account must be established, and is used to meet the operational expenses that relate to the unit title development. The new Regulations contain some restrictions on unbudgeted spending from the operating account, only allowing unbudgeted spending if it is under 10% of the annual budget.

Buying and selling a unit – disclosure

Buying and selling a unit in a unit title development is more complicated than a traditional house purchase, as there are additional rights and responsibilities to consider, more people involved and ongoing financial commitments of the body corporate. Accordingly the requirement of disclosure is important to enable the buyer to make an informed decision. Under the new Act sellers of unit titles are obliged to provide prospective buyers with a series of disclosure statements to facilitate an informed purchase decision.

The new Act provides for three types of disclosure. Firstly, the pre-contract disclosure statement which the seller provides before entering into an agreement for sale and purchase and contains basic information about the unit title and some specific information about the unit/development. Secondly, the pre-settlement disclosure statement which the seller provides after entering the agreement for sale and purchase but before settlement and contains financial information about the unit, levies etc. Thirdly, an additional disclosure statement which the seller provides on request of the buyer and contains key information about the development, financial statements, long-term maintenance plans, contracts and insurance. The new Regulations prescribe the specific information that must be provided in each disclosure statement.

There are various other aspects which are dealt with under the new Act and Regulations. These include how to call a meeting, what you might want to consider at your first AGM following 20 June 2011, the role of the chairperson, committee members and representatives, and how to deal with disputes.
The new Act and Regulations have been designed to be user friendly and to better facilitate the management of unit title developments. However there are more responsibilities placed upon unit owners and bodies corporate and it is important to ensure that you are aware of these.

Please feel free to contact Ian Mellett (BComm LLB H Dip Tax) at Auckland law firm Quay Law on (09) 523 2408  (09) 523 2408 or ian.mellett@quaylaw.co.nz for more information.

Our website address is www.quaylaw.co.nz and our blog for regular NZ law tips and updates is www.aucklandlawfirm.co.nz.

To talk to a conveyancing solicitor about your property transaction and ourfirm please contact  a lawyer at Quay Law.

Recent News

Our legal tips are provided by the Auckland lawyers and conveyancing specialists at Quay Law (New Zealand). These articles cover a range of legal topics and news worthy articles.

    Foreign Buyer Ban NZ: What Does It Mean For You and the NZ Property Market?

    In October last year the foreign buyer ban NZ came into effect and some New Zealanders breathed a sigh of relief, but should they have? Will the foreign buyer ban NZ have any impact on property prices or overseas ownership? According to the Real Estate Sector in New Zealand, the change in property law will not help kiwis who are ....

      Quay Law – Immigration Consultants and Lawyers

      Immigration Consultants and Lawyers for Immigration in 2018 Whether you are already residing in New Zealand or are planning a move to New Zealand, you should be aware of the benefits and risks surrounding your application or current permits. Consider working with immigration consultants and lawyers? Losing your New Zealand job may result in you not being eligible to work ....

        Business and Investment Visas

        Looking into Business and Investment Visas for New Zealand? The objective of New Zealand’s business and investment visas, and overarching immigration policy is to help grow New Zealand’s economy by enabling experienced business people to establish or buy businesses in New Zealand, contributing to the country’s economic growth. The business migration category encompasses a number of immigration pathways – two ....

          Why is it important to update your will

          The importance of updating your will If you should die, having a valid will, also known as a “last will and testament”, is the only way to ensure that your assets and possessions are distributed to the people that you want them to go to, and in the way that you want them to be distributed to those people. However, ....

            New Zealand 2018 immigration changes

            The latest immigration news is that Immigration New Zealand has increased the remuneration thresholds for Skilled Migrant visa and Essential Skills visa applications, with effect from 15 January 2018. What’s behind the 2018 immigration changes? We’ve all seen how, year on year, annual surveys show that New Zealand is one of the best countries in the world in which to ....

              Buying a property? A property auction – how does it work?

              A property auction is a way to sell or buy a property through a process of negotiation open to the public. The intention behind the process of publicly negotiating the price is to ensure the property is bought or sold at its true market value at the time of the auction. Often, the reason for holding an auction is that ....

                Timeshare property transfer and conveyancing

                Are you thinking about buying timeshare property? Do you already have timeshare that you now want to sell? In either scenario, it’s important to consult your timeshare property transfer and conveyancing lawyer for help with the process. Timeshare – also known as shared holiday ownership – originated after the Second World War and has since become an international phenomenon, with ....

                  What is a property encumbrance and how does it affect the sale and purchase of your property?

                    What is a property encumbrance?  Like people, every property has its own history – and, depending on its history, there could be the proverbial skeleton or two lurking in the cupboard of the property’s title. Having the title to a property simply means you have certain rights to the property – and sometimes those rights come with a ‘baggage’ ....

                    The April 2017 NZ immigration visa changes

                    For a long time, record levels of immigration to New Zealand have been seen as an indication of the strength of our economy. However, the New Zealand Government is worried that continuing to allow too many migrants to enter the country could put undue pressure on public services and infrastructure. So, in April 2017, the Government announced changes to the ....

                    We are lawyers in Auckland, who provide practical legal services and conveyancing to a diverse range of New Zealand and overseas client needs. Centrally located in Remuera, Auckland, we look forward to working with you.

                    Contact your approachable auckland lawyer

                    Our Legal Services

                    Our Auckland lawyers provide practical legal services for a diverse range of client needs.


                    Our property lawyers understand that property refinancing and property transfer or conveyancing transactions are diverse and can range from the sale or purchase of a residential house or apartment to something more complex. Transactions may focus on any property market be it retail, office, industrial, retirement villages, residential or rural.

                    Call us now for our conveyancing


                    Loan Refinancing may refer to the replacement of an existing debt obligation with a debt obligation under different terms.

                    If the replacement of debt occurs under financial distress, refinancing might be referred to as debt restructuring or debt consolidation.

                    Call us now for our Refinance


                    Everyone over the age of 18 years should have a will.  This will ensure that your assets will be bequeathed to those persons or entities whom you wish to benefit from your estate. We are able to manage the administration of your assets on death and provide advice to estate executors on any legalities that may arise.

                    We also provide the following ancillary services

                    • Enduring Powers of Attorney
                    • Powers of Attorney and Deed of Delegation
                    • Matrimonial and De Facto Claims against your estate

                    Call us now for wills and estate administration


                    We specialize in the establishment of the Trust and thereafter are able to support the ongoing management of your Trust along with your Trustees.  It is essential that your most important assets are protected during your lifetime and on your death.

                     Please contact us for family trusts


                    Types of taxation related services include but are not limited to

                    • Investment Properties
                    • Income structuring
                    • Income Splitting for Family
                    • Pre immigration planning.

                    Please contact us for Tax Lawyers

                    RELATIONSHIP PROPERTY

                    The drafting of a relationship property agreement requires skill, diplomacy and a good understanding of your requirements to ensure that the desired outcomes are achieved should a separation occur. We are able to assist with setting up Relationship Property Agreements and Separation Agreements.

                     Please contact us for Relationship Property Agreement
                    COMMERCIAL | BUSINESS LAW

                    Types of products and services we provide:

                    • Leasing
                    • Business Sales and Purchases
                    • Business Refinancing
                    • Company Formation
                    • General Security Agreements
                    • Debt Collection
                    • Partnerships
                    • Shareholders Agreements
                    • Small Business Advice
                    • Business and Marketing Plans
                    • Strategic and Marketing Advice
                    • Guarantees
                    • Terms of trade
                    • Financing
                    • Franchising
                    • Joint Ventures
                    • Consumer protection

                    Please contact us for Commercial lawyers


                    Whether you are a franchisee or franchiser, large and small, we are able to assist you in setting up franchises, entering/buying a franchise, writing and reviewing franchise documentation and expanding franchises, in a personalised, professional and efficient manner.

                    Please contact us for Franchise agreements


                    Our lawyers in Auckland can assist you with:

                    • Providing general immigration advice.
                    • Attending to you visitor, work or residency visa / permit applications.

                    Please contact us for NZ Immigration

                     We can help you with:Rules of the Body Corporate
                    Management of the Common Property
                    Establishment of the Board of Trustees (the committee)
                    Regulations governing the Board of Trustees
                    Provide insight and objective advice on Body Corporate matters
                    Please contact us for Auckland Body Corporate Lawyer
                    SOCIAL MEDIA LAW

                    Social media includes web-based and mobile technologies used to turn communication into interactive dialogue. Social media is media for social interaction as a super-set beyond social communication. Enabled by ubiquitously accessible and scalable communication techniques, social media has substantially changed the way organizations, communities, and individuals communicate. This has in turn had an impact on the law.

                    Please contact us at Quay Law Remuera for Social Media Law


                    Our lawyers based in Remuera are also able to provide advice on general New Zealand legal matters.

                    If you require expertise beyond our practice, we are able to arrange this necessary expertise for you.

                    Referrals to Barristers are also provided.

                    Our Auckland solicitors also practice in Social Media Law.

                    For more information, please contact a lawyer at Quay Law Barrister and Solicitors.

                    Please contact us for General legal requirements

                    “The good of the people is the greatest law”
                    – Marcus Tullius Cicero
                    Anonymous • Quote of the Day
                    GET IN TOUCH